In commitment to the CICM promotion of the integrity of creation and under its core value of social involvement, SLU has taken concrete steps in taking care of the environment and in mitigating the serious effects of global warming. SLU has strongly implemented environment-friendly practices inside the campus through its innovative “clean and green” projects that include garbage segregation, the plastic-free Wednesday, etc., in support to the DENR environmental campaigns.
Also, SLU is known in the Benguet province for its comprehensive re-forestation agenda. To date, SLU has planted more than 7,000 trees through its tree planting activities in its adopted communities. The number of trees is expected to increase in the coming years through SLU’s continuous efforts of “greening” endeavors for a sustainable future.
More than restoring the natural environment, SLU’s re-forestation active campaign provides livelihood to the local communities. Recently, SLU-LES won the Platinum Award in the 2011 International Schools Cyberfair in environmental awareness category.
SLU student organizations with environmental programs include:
- Green Core Society
- Finalist, Most Outstanding Extra Curricular Student Organization, Gawad San Luis 2012
- Ecolodians of Saint Louis University
- Most Outstanding Extra Curricular Student Organization, Gawad San Luis 2012
- Winner, Ramon Magsaysay Award for Social Involvement, Gawad San Luis 2012
- Winner, Jose Rizal Award for Competence, Gawad San Luis 2012
- Winner, Fernando Amorsolo Award for Creativity and Innovation, Gawad San Luis 2012
- Air and Waste Management Association (AWMA)