In line with the Vision-Mission of Saint Louis University, the Institute of Foreign Languages and International Studies provides for the study of English and Foreign Languages and Literature; and fosters and promotes collaboration for research, education and community outreach efforts in languages, literatures and culture. Moreover, the Institute designs interdisciplinary programs to help students acquire proficiency in the social and cultural development of various world regions, develop linguistic skills, and prepare for careers in international affairs.
- The Institute prepares and implements Special and/or Intensive Language Programs or Courses for International or Foreign students who are non- English speakers and who would like to improve their English proficiency and skills for professional, academic, religious or personal purposes.
- The Institute offers Language Programs and Services that can be tailor-designed to meet group and/or individual needs.
- The Institute shares its expertise and resources in the area of English Language Education with students, instructors and professors of SLU and other schools and universities.
- The Institute promotes cooperation with local and international institutions in the areas of second/foreign language and culture training.
- Special Program in the English Language and Literature (SPELL)
- This is a three-term program consisting of four months each and specially designed for students of Sung Kong Hoe University, Seoul, Korea. The students earn 45 units of English credited in SKH.
- The Institute welcomes prospective schools who want to adapt similar programs such as this. The English needs will be tailor-designed based on the language needs.
- Intensive Course in the English Language (ICEL-1)
- This is a five (5) month program designed for the CICM Missionaries who have acquired little proficiency in the English Language.
- The program facilitates the acquisition of the target language in a shorter period of time to prepare them for their academic studies, cultural interaction, research, foreign travel and missionary work.
- Intensive Course in the English Language (ICEL-2)
- This is a course designed for international students to acquire an educational and recreational experience directed towards the learning of a new language.
- The Institute recommends subjects that the client must study based on the result of the placement test. However, clients in this program can personally request for subjects based on their personal needs.
- The duration of the course is dependent on the request or need of the student.
- English Proficiency Program (EPP-5 months)
- EPP is a five month program, designed for non-English speaking foreign students who would like to enroll in SLU or in other schools but who are deficient or have acquired little proficiency in the English Language.
- Foreign students who come from countries where English is a Second Language and whose English proficiency is deficient are enjoined o take the course
- The program promotes facility of the learners in the target language to prepare them for their academic studies and to equip them with intercultural awareness as they develop their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Free use of library books and other references
- Accommodation (board and lodging) subject to agreement between SLU and partner institution and includes free internet access
Since the Institute's inception in 2007, IFLIS had its international linkage with the following:
- Sung Kong Hoe University, Seoul, South Korea - Special Program in English Language and Literature
- Jinju National University, Jinju City, South Korea - Intensive Course in the English Language
- Geochang Provincial College, Sounth Gyeongsang, South Korea - Intensive Course in the English Language
The Institute is proud to have served students from various countries around the world. Our International clients come from Brazil, China, Congo, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan and Thailand.
The establishment of the Institute of Foreign Languages and International Studies was announced by Rev. Father Jessie M. Hechanova , SLU President, during the 2006 Academic Session, on the 21st of April, 2006. It was in response to the challenges brought about by globalization and to the promotion of world peace and intercultural understanding among people of different culture, and in response to the request of the CICM government. The Institute officially opened on the first day of June, 2006 coinciding with the appointment of its First Director, Dr. Edmundo L. Ceniza. Its first clients were the second batch of forty SPELL (Special Program in English Language and Literature) students from Sung Kong Hoe University in Seoul, Korea and the ICEL (Intensive Course in the English Language) students composed of one Brusselian and three Haitians from the CICM government.
Miel Albert C. Laoyan
Institute of Foreign Languages and International Studies
- 3rd Floor, Charles Vath Library Buiding
Saint Louis University
A. Bonifacio Street
2600 Baguio City, Philippines
- Trunk Lines: (063) (74) 442 2794, 442 2193, 443 3043, 443 2001, 444 8246 to 48, 444 8253
- Local 353