In line with the series of capability-building activities, the Schools Division of Benguet invited faculty members of Saint Louis University as Resource Persons in the “Skills and Knowledge Enhancement of Teachers and School Leaders Across Governance Levels” held from July 17-21, 2023, at Brentwood Apartelle, Brentwood Village, Baguio City. This partnership between SLU and DepEd Benguet Division was made possible through Rev. Fr. Gilbert B. Sales, CICM, SLU President, being the Regional Program Director of PEAC, that concretized the complementarity between private and public schools.
600 DepEd teachers from Atok, Bakun, Bokod, Buguias, Itogon, La Trinidad, Mankayan, Sablan, Tuba, and Tublay participated in the week-long seminar-workshop. It was conducted in three batches, with each batch having 200 participants.
Among the invited resource persons are:
- Dr. Allan R. Abuan: “Maximizing Google Features for Easy Delivery of Online Learning”
- Mrs. Joan F. Alim: “Art of Questioning”
- Dr. Marilyn L. Balmeo: “Prejudice Reduction: Inclusive and Responsive School” and “Enhancing Parent-Teacher Collaboration”
- Mr. John Michael A. Guerzon: “Research Writing for Investigatory Projects”
- Dr. Joselito C. Gutierrez: “Learner-Centered Teaching Strategies,” “Unpacking Learning Standards for Upgraded Lesson Delivery,” and “Establishing Partner Community as an Extension Program of the School
- Dr. Jeramie N. Molino: “Spirituality of an Educator”
- Dr. Laarni Natividad and Mr. John MIchael A. Guerzon: “Simplifying Mathematics Concepts for Basic Education – Elementary”
- Dr. Laarni Natividad and Mrs. Geraldine Bambao (Saint Louis School Center): “Simplifying Mathematics Concepts for Basic Education – High School”
- Dr. Glorificacion L. Quinopez: “Assessment”
- Mrs. Ria Frances A. Robles: “Intervention to Reduce Academic Procrastination” and “Developing Effective Facilitating Skills”
- Ms. Kaye Leah Sitchon: “Proposal/Completion Report Writing for REAP”
- Dr. Geraldine Wakat: “Embedding Sustainable Development Goals in the Curriculum”
The capacity-building events organized by the Schools Division of Benguet align with the Learning and Development (L&D) Program of the Department of Education. L&D is a strategic initiative that addresses existing competency gaps or develops competencies required for a planned reform agenda. As systematic and planned programs designed by the agency, L&D aims to equip its workforce with the necessary competencies to meet current and future job requirements.
In line with Sustainable Development Goals 17 (Partnership for the Goals), 4 (Quality Education), 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth), and 10 (Reduced Inequalities), the participation of Saint Louis University in the L&D program of the Schools Division of Benguet emphasizes the value on investing in people through competency-based training and development programs. This endeavor also contributes to the CICM advocacy of Justice, Peace, and Integrity of Creation and the CEAP JEEPGY value of Engaged Citizenship.